Wednesday, April 6, 2011

Cooling Technology - A Close up

Over on our website we have a really nifty page which covers some of the fundamentals of the cooling technology we use to ensure that every meal delivered remains fresh for the entire day. One of the things you will notice is that the bags we deliver our meals in, actually get cooler for a little while before very gradually warming to a temperature that hovers around that of a fridge.

So I was a little curious about this whole process myself, and luckily this week I was able to get a closer look at our cooling bags in action, as I had a few meals delivered to my appartment.

I happened to wake up around 5 in the morning and decided to go and see if my delivery had arrived. I went to my door and opened it. Lo and behold a handsome looking 21st Century Food cooling bag was sitting on my door mat waiting for me.


I brought the bag into my kitchen and set it on my table. I had a window open letting in a bit of a breeze because during the Winter and Spring months it is ridiculously well heating in my appartment.

Because it was so early I went back to sleep for another two hours. When I felt well rested I returned to the kitchen to open the cooling bag.

Inside I found nicely packed meals in containers that were cool to the touch.


Inside the cooling bag, I noticed a few ice packs on the sides that were still quite cold. The entire inside of the bag looked well lined, and all of the interior surfaces were quite cool to the touch.


Here's another shot of the inside. You can notice three ice packs that line the sides.


Perhaps the most remarkable thing was that after having emptied the bag and moving, the place where it rested on my table was noticeably cold. Laying my hand on the spot felt almost like I was touching an ice pack.

Needless to say, the food itself was quite well preserved.

No comments:

Post a Comment